Yukon Ombudsman Yukon Information and Privacy Commissioner Yukon Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner

Yukon Ombudsman

What types of complaints can you deal with?

The Ombudsman can investigate:

  • Yukon government departments
  • crown corporations and independent authorities
  • public schools
  • Yukon College
  • hospitals
  • professional and occupational governing bodies
  • municipalities and Yukon First Nations (at their request only)

The Ombudsman cannot investigate:

  • disputes between individuals
  • the federal government
  • the courts, Yukon Legislature, Yukon Elections Office, or lawyers acting on behalf of government
  • the RCMP
  • landlord/tenant matters
  • home or auto insurance
  • banks
  • businesses
  • matters which took place before the Ombudsman Act became law in 1996.

Do all complaints get investigated?

Not necessarily. Each complaint is unique and the Ombudsman tries to find the best way to bring resolution. The Ombudsman may investigate, or you may be directed to other avenues for resolving your problem.

When should a complaint be brought to the Ombudsman?

Before the Ombudsman can help, you must try to first resolve your complaint directly with the department or agency. Remember to:

If you are unable to resolve your complaint, you can then come to the Ombudsman.

  • ask to speak with a supervisor/manager
  • ask how and why a decision was made or an action taken
  • ask if there is a review or appeal process and pursue it
  • clearly explain your issue
  • treat people respectfully and listen carefully to them
  • ask questions if you don't understand
  • write down who you talk to, what they say, and the date, whether you have a meeting or a phone call
  • keep copies of all letters, documents, and emails


Relevant FAQs

Do all complaints get investigated?

Not necessarily. Each complaint is unique and we try to choose the most appropriate way to deal with it. Sometimes that means an investigation. Other times, we may use mediation or negotiation. Whenever possible, we contact the government office to see if an early resolution can be achieved.

Who can make a complaint?

Any person or group that feels they have been treated unfairly by a Yukon government action or decision can contact the Ombudsman. We will determine if the complaint is an issue the Ombudsman can investigate. If it is not, we will try to refer you to someone who can help.

What kinds of problems can the Ombudsman help me with?

The Ombudsman can investigate complaints about:

  • Yukon government departments,
  • crown corporations and independent authorities or boards,
  • public schools,
  • Yukon College,
  • hospitals,
  • professional and occupational governing bodies, and
  • municipalities and Yukon First Nations (at their request only).
All FAQs