Yukon Ombudsman Yukon Information and Privacy Commissioner Yukon Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner

Yukon Information and Privacy Commissioner

Access to Information and Protection of Privacy (ATIPP)

What are my privacy rights under ATIPP?

ATIPP contains rules that a public body must follow when it wants to collect, use or disclose your personal information.  These rules establish your right to privacy under ATIPP.

A public body

  • can only collect your personal information if a law authorizes the collection, if the information is for law enforcement, or it is necessary for operating a program or activity of the public body;
  • must tell you the purpose for collecting your personal information, its authority for collection, and provide you with the business title, address and telephone number of one of its officers or employees  who can answer your questions about the collection;
  • can only use your personal information for the purpose it was collected, for a consistent purpose, or with your consent for another purpose;
  • can only disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, for a consistent purpose, with your consent, or for the other specified purposes in sections 36 and 38 of ATIPP;
  • may, at your request, correct inaccurate personal information it holds and if it refuses, it must make a note showing the correction you requested;
  • must make reasonable security arrangements to protect your personal information from such risks as accidental loss or alteration, and unauthorized access, use, disclosure or disposal.

What can I do if I have a concern that my privacy rights have been violated?

If you are concerned your privacy rights have been violated you can contact our Office and make a complaint or request a review by the Information and Privacy Commissioner.

How do I make a complaint or request a review?

Complete the Request for Review/Complaint Form and submit it to our office via fax, in person or by mailing it to the following address: 

Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
Suite 201 - 211 Hawkins Street
Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 1X3

Phone: 867-667-8468 ext. 2
Fax: 867-667-8469


Office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 A.M. to  4:30  P.M.


You can also obtain the form by contacting our Office.